Sunday, January 23, 2011

On Tiger Balm and Hope

Some cold winter nights
when it's dark and snowing
I rub tiger balm all over my collar bone.

Smear it on my neck, too,

right before I sleep.

Not because it's now flu season,

not because of sore muscles,

but because on the oinment tin
it says:
“Relieves aches and pains.”

I know it's talking about a bodily ache,
the kind you can rub some mystery balm on
and the pain will seemingly vaporize into the air
right along with the menthol.

I've got an ache
that won't go away. Not with menthol
or writing
or company.
Not with time or touch or
anything else.

I wanna smear it away so bad,
in one evening. I want to be heard
in the day of my trouble.
There's a better balm
than a tiger, a Lion.
You don't use him to make it better,
but his aroma is better, so I wait and I'm waiting.

And in the waiting I put on tiger balm,
and I put it on thick, to remind myself that
one can see goodness in
the land of the living.

Th
ere is such a thing as a problem
that the God of Jacob
eradicates before twenty four hours is up,
even before the end of this poem.


(Psalm 20:1 and 27:13)

2 comments:

Delong Tsway said...

I think lion is an allusion to Jesus. Am I right?

Rosalie Carlson said...

yep.